The 23rd of April, the International Book Day is celebrated all over the world.
We, teachers and students at IES San Miguel (Jabugo) organize every year, a public reading in which students from all the groups read several texts in different languages.
This year it was held last Thursday, the 20th of April, and it is the 3rd school year we organize it.
In order to prepare all the texts and their translations, all the teachers of the different linguistic areas at school, choose, prepare and translate the texts together with the students who read that day.
This activity is involved in different plans which are developed by the school, such as the Library Project, the Bilingual Project and the School Linguistic Project.
Each linguistic area chooses different authors and students show up as volunteers to participate in the public reading. Then, each group read a text per language, and teachers prepare the translations of the different texts to be shown in a screen, so the audience attending the event can follow the varied readings.
This school year, the core idea has been to choose female authors in order to hightlight the importance of women in literature. We have also made the most of the anniversary of the death of two important Spanish authors, Gloria Fuertes and Miguel Hernández.
More than 20 different students from all the groups have participated in the readings, and three teachers have also read in their mother local languages. Finally, some students who come from other countries have also read in their mother languages.
This is the list of authors and works which have been read at this 3rd Public Reading:
- Poems by Gloria Fuertes.
- Texts by María Zambrano.
- Poemas by Mª Luisa Marín Alonso.
- Texts by Carmen Laforet.
- Texts by Rosalía de Castro.
- Poem by Miguel Hernández.
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling.
- The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich.
- Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
- L'amant by Marguerite Duras.
- Les Contes by Madame D'Alnoys.
- Tumultueux Sommets by Emily Brönte.
- Imposible Crecer by Fatou Diome (Wolof, Senegal).
- Chernóbil Voices by Svetlana Aleksiévich (Ukrainian).
- Love Poems by Aj Astájova (Russian).
- In Women I dissolve by Maram al Masri (Arabic).
- Poema III by Ione Gorostarzu Etxebeste (Euskera).
- Broken Mirror by Mercè Rododera (Catalan).
- The Foundation of Rome and The War of Troy (Latin).
To top it all off, we all enjoyed a mini-concert in which two students of the 3rd year played varied musical pieces belonging to the original soundtracks of some famous films and TV shows based on original literary works, such as Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
It has been a success which all the people attending the event has hugely enjoyed.