Monday 13 April 2015

HOW TO USE THE SPANISH VERB "TENER" CORRECTLY

 There are uses of “tener" that are used differently in Spanish:
Resultado de imagen de uses of tener
Many everyday expressions in Spanish begin with “tener”. Where in English it is common to use to be + adjective, in Spanish the construction is often: tener + noun.
tener frío – to be cold; Ex: It's very cold today.
tener calor – to be hot; Ex: It's very hot today.
tener hambre – to be hungry; Ex: The baby is so hungry that he's crying all the time.
tener sed – to be thirsty; Ex: I've been running for an hour and I'm very thirsty.
tener sueño – to be sleepy; Ex: Yesterday I went to bed very late, so I'm very sleepy today.
tener años – to be years old; Ex: She's twenty years-old.
tener miedo – to be afraid; Ex: My sister used to be afraid of dogs when she was younger.
tener prisa – to be in a hurry; Ex: Sorry, I can't talk, I'm in a hurry.
tener cuidado – to be careful; Ex: Be careful, you are  going to drop the glass!!!
tener (la) razón – to be right; Ex: Ok, sorry you are right and I was wrong.
tener suerte – to be lucky; Ex: He's been always very lucky.
tener celos – to be jealous; Ex: Don't be jealous, she's just a good friend.
tener éxito – to be successful; Ex: She is successful in her workplace.
tener (mucho) gusto en – to be (very) glad to; Ex:s I'm so glad to meet you.
tener gracia – to be funny; Ex: This soap is so funny!
“To be warm” and “to be cold” translate as “hacer calor” and “hacer frío”respectively, when referring to the weather, and as “estar caliente” and “estar frío”, respectively, when referring to things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your comments on this post. Thank you!!!!